Bangladesh’s Kamar Ahmad Simon’s documentary Are You Listening won the Golden Conch Award on 9 February 2014at the Mumbai International Film Festival for Documentary, Short and Animation Films (MIFF).The documentary was awarded the Golden Conch Award as the Best Documentary Award ( in above 40 minutes category).
Are You Listening is a 90 minutes documentary that is a set in the coastal belt of Bangladesh. The documentary reveals the alarming effects of climate change and deftly captures the fighting spirit of a community and their will to survive, which is a powerful and beautifully photographed film.
The award comprised of the Golden Conch trophy and 500000 rupees cash prize of which 300000 rupees for the Director (Kamar Ahmad Simon) and 200000 rupees for the producer (Sara Afreen).
About Kamar Ahmad Simon
• Kamar Ahmad Simon was born in Dhaka.
• Are You Listening is his first documentary and has been awarded twice by Jan Vrijman Fund from IDFA and also by Visions Sud est from Switzerland.
• It was awarded as one of the best Pitches at the Asian Forum for Documentaries and it is invited to Campus Studio Lab for Editing.
• The first ever International Film Festival for Documentary, Short and Animation Films was held in the year 1990.
• The biennial festival is conducted with the active collaboration of Government of Maharashtra and the Indian Documentary Producers’ Association. Mumbai is the permanent venue of the festival.
• MIFF is one of the most prestigious festival in the documentary, short and animation genre at par with International Film Festivals like Leipzig, Berlin, Oberhausen, Cracow and Tampere etc.